simonejester: ([other] lite-brite)
Dear st_secular,

I only know you from Twitter, and not all that well. I assumed that the "secular" in your username denoted either religion snark or non-belief. Clearly, assuming only makes an ass out of me. I'm sorry for assuming you were a fellow atheist, because that's why I replied to you as if you were a fellow non-believer. If I'd known you were a believer, I'd have put the comment in more diplomatic terms.

Sincerely,

Simone Jester, who meant no harm.

Edit: I took away the second part because koken23 apologized, and because I keep my promises.
simonejester: ([other] lite-brite)
I'm an atheist who sees the "Religious Right" and its power and worries, especially as the Democrats, instead of embracing reason, have gone out of their way to show off their religious (and nearly always American-style Christian) bona-fides. Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge the good in religion, but the most hard-core believers in government and pulling the strings of government are trying to do harm, and sometimes they succeed. Just look at gay marriage and adoption bans and restrictions on abortion. All in the name of "God."

And, yes, I worry about President Obama receiving spiritual counseling when it comes to affairs of state. (Personal matters are none of my business and I don't think it's stupid to take comfort in one's faith in times of hardship, especially when it's all one has. I think it's false comfort, but that's my opinion and this post isn't being made to persuade, it's being made to inform.) He's already said that because of his religion, he supports civil unions for same-sex couples but not marriage equality. As an atheist and as a queer, I have the right to worry about that.

Fizzy: then treat others as you would wish to be treated. Mutual respect, without the assumption that the person you're talking to is somehow ignorant for believing as they do
me: I do treat people that way.
Fizzy: not this time you haven't
me: Just because I believe something doesn't mean I'm going to treat people different.
I'm still listening politely to your argument.
I give your words the weight they deserve.
Whenever I get into a debate about religion, I listen carefully to the argument.
Fizzy: and yet still telling me I'm easily fooled, liking a story that makes less sense than Harry Potter
me: Not easily. You're a smart person, and religious arguments have evolved too.
So there must have been something good to convince you in the face of all evidence to the contrary.
I know a guy who did quantum physics before quitting when he got saved to go to seminary.
You don't have to be stupid to be a believer, nor vice versa.
Sent at 9:15 PM on Thursday
me: I have never, ever said that being a believer automatically made one stupid, nor will I ever.
Because I do not believe that.

Fizzy: say exactly what you just told me, you may be able to stop yourself getting into trouble
me: I will.
I don't see faith (defined here as belief without proof) in a conscious higher power as reasonable, or rational. This is my personal opinion and belief. It is open to reasoned debate. And you can ask Fizzy--when corrected, I change my mind and say so. She's corrected me often enough.

some science )
simonejester: ([other] lite-brite)
Go to Google (or Yahoo) and type, "You know you're from (your state/province) when..."
Cut and paste the list.
Bold the items that apply to you.

You Know You're From FLORIDA When...

You own at least five pairs of flip flops

>> Yep! Even now, and I'm in Alaska!

You know someone who's been struck by lightning

You're more scared of the freaks who live down the street than gators

>> Born and raised in the South and good ole boys (as opposed to Southern gentlemen which is a totally different breed of manfolk) creep me the fuck out).

Your backyard is sometimes a swamp

You're officially sick of Disney

>> Yyyyyyep.

You shrug off hurricane warnings

>> I deflect hurricanes. In Titusville, in Sarasota, when the hurricanes were forecast to hit us, they didn't when I was there.

You've been permanently blinded by fat men in speedos

There are only two seasons - hot and hotter

>> There's "sprautumn" and suuuuummmmmerrrrrrr. (As opposed to Alaska, where the two seasons are wiiiiiinnnnntttteeeeeeerrrrrrrr and construction.)

You've drank a flaming alligator.

"Down South" means Key West

>> Oh yes. I miss being able to go north to Alabama!

"Panhandling" means going to Pensacola.

>> That's just cheesy.

cut for length )
simonejester: danbo and an xbox360 controller (Default)
One's the Olive Scarf:

olive scarf jul 30 (1)

One's the base of the skirt I'm flying by the seat of my pants on:

knifty skirt 02

And the other's one I'm just starting now: a Where's Waldo-type hat for my husband, since his co-workers think he looks like Waldo from the books. :P

No pictures of that one yet, but I will once there's something worth photographing.
simonejester: danbo and an xbox360 controller (Default)
I got packages today! Yarn from [livejournal.com profile] eurynome1967 and Good News Week and other Paul McDermott type stuff from [livejournal.com profile] capsy_wennet!!!

*bouncebouncebounce*

:DDD

002

003

close-ups )

And the fun stuff to watch:

001

Profile

simonejester: danbo and an xbox360 controller (Default)
simonejester

May 2017

S M T W T F S
 12 3456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Syndicate

RSS Atom
Page generated 22/9/17 06:14

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags